10.14.2008

Dear Nashville.

Dear Nashville.

We've had a good four years, haven't we? When I first moved here as a wide-eyed 17 year old, I was convinced you were made for me. I sweated through that first fall, put up with the sleety rain, endured a broken heart-broken arm- "mistaken" pregnancy-104 degree fever with the flu- and still loved you even when you hit 90 degrees in April. I forgave the lack of fall weather that first year because some hurricane blew away all your pretty leaves and just left you with dead brown mush on the ground. It's okay, Nashville, I know it wasn't your fault. That summer after my freshman year I desperately wanted to return to you. Colorado Springs didn't hold a candle to you. I came back that fall excited for a new adventure. I put up with the heat because I still believed you were my soulmate. When December rolled around and we still had 70+ degree days I started getting a tiny bit frustrated but soon let go because I knew I was going back to Colorado where I would enjoy plenty of snow and cold weather. Then I made the life changing decision to stay in Nashville year - round with only a few jaunts home. Which meant I endured a Nashville summer. Really? It can get that hot and humid in one place for that long? I didn't even know it was possible. Summers in Chicago don't even come close to your ability to get hotter and hotter and more humid. How do you do it? I was a little frustrated with you when my electric bill was close to $150... in September. That second summer I sort of dreaded staying here with you but luckily I got to travel for 1/3 of it so I put up with you until it was 100 degrees + for more than two weeks. That was completely unacceptable. I almost put in my two weeks notice but you cooled off rather quickly once we got into October. All was forgiven and forgotten. Then you had to go and get hot in APRIL. April?? Why couldn't you wait until May like the rest of the world? This summer has been stifling and now we're into October. October 14th to be exact. Thanksgiving is 6 weeks away and I'm still wearing short sleeves, flip flops and sun dresses. I'm sorry but you LOOK like fall, SMELL like fall and TASTE like fall (Starbucks brought back Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Fido is out of caramel apple cider). Why oh why can't you FEEL LIKE FALL? Do you know how much I'm struggling with the fact that you're completely skipping my favorite season? I'm starting to resent you. In fact - I don't know if I can put up with much more of this nonsensical summer from April until October. You know I hate the heat so why do you torment me? Is it because I haven't switched my residency to Tennessee yet? Are you really that upset?

Listen, if things don't change soon we might have to break up.

Yours,

Rachel

2 comments:

Tinsel said...

so this weather is all YOUR fault? thanks, girl.

Anonymous said...

I love fall, too. I'm starting to question why I ever wanted to move to Nashville when I've got nice temperatures, apple orchards, pumpkins, and apple cider up here in Pennsylvania. I hate hot weather...blah. Hang in there, girl! And get out of town for "business" if you need to. Great post, BTW!